Saturday, September 20, 2008

G-d Loves the Internet (or High Tech Hashgacha Pratis)

So I'm at work this week and my internet's been buggy all morning when finally my modem has a nervous breakdown. Now, if you know me, you know I'm not far behind.
I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Road Runner only to find out that it'll be SIX DAYS before they can come out and fix my hookup. SIX DAYS?!?!? What am I gonna do for six whole days at work without internet? Work????

Somebody suggested I call YSB, the best tech guy ever. Not so simple, I replied.

  1. He costs money that our office cannot afford.
  2. He is doing me a favor currently at my house and I don't want to blow that.

So I guess we'll just have to muddle through for the next six days, right? Wrong. Ten minutes later, who do you suppose walks through my office door? YSB! I haven't seen him in my office in at least 10 months!!! What is he doing here? Oh, the landlord of our premises who he is currently doing a job for wants to "borrow" our internet hookup for a live video broadcast on Sunday night? You're joking! My modem just blew! What? You can take it yourself to Time Warner and swap it out and install the new one? That would be lovely, thank you. And of course they can borrow our hookup!

I guess Hashem doesn't look so harshly on my internet addiction after all :)

4 comments:

Mikeinmidwood said...

Nice story.

rickismom said...

Now THAT'S Hashgach Pratis! Of course I can't share this story with my older sons, who think my using the internet is not so frum......

G6 said...

rickismom -
That's *exactly* why I love this story....
Maybe Hashem is a bit more forgiving of our "vices" than others.... ;)
And btw, I'm glad Ricki is back home and doing well ... continued Refuah Sheleimah

daughtersintheparsha said...

rickismom, I am sure it is because of the schools/yeshivas they go to, but don't they value how you raised them? Or does that count for nothing in their "frumkeit" development? There is a problem, I think, when we chuckle and allow our children to be so judgemental of our actions.