Saturday, September 20, 2008

Joey's Kiddush Hashem

Joey's in a bit of a funk. I'm actually a little bit jealous of him, because he got to do something this week that few of us ever get a chance to do, and I'm sure Hashem will reward him mightily.
Those of you who know Joey, know that one of his lifelong dreams is to be on Jeopardy or Millionaire (and of course to win big). Now, this is no pipe dream. Joey is serious about this stuff and he's GOOD.
Well, Friday afternoon Joey got the long awaited call. Millionaire wanted him!!! Unfortunately, they want him for Succos :( They have no other days available at the moment. Joey was able to tell them that he is terribly sorry but he is an Orthodox Jew and no matter how badly he wants to do this, he is unable to attend the taping.
So if you see Joey this week, give him a high five and be nice to him. He just lost (according to his calculation) at least $50,000 and a chance to live his dream. I'm sure the Heavenly Court is hugging him tight right now.

7 comments:

frumcollegegirl said...

wow that's REALLY frustrating, i'm sorry to hear that...

i always wondered what it would be like to be a genius and know all the answers to Jeapordy or Millionare.

Juggling Frogs said...

Wow!!!! Kol Hakavod to Joey!

That's amazing, and so is he.

I hope the program will get him a spot in a non-chag upcoming session. I think you should tell one of the Jewish newspapers about this. What a wonderful story it would make!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! I am impressed at his dedication and adherence to his beliefs.
Kudos Joey !

G6 said...

I have forwarded your encouraging words to Joey and while I think it's an amazing story, I'm not sure it makes for good press because it's not exactly a decision he struggled with, though he was really bummed out :) I'm not sure any paper would find it interesting.
I hope you're right about the re-call Carolyn!

Juggling Frogs said...

To the contrary, the fact that he didn't hesitate makes it all the more inspiring and interesting!

Juggling Frogs said...

I hope you don't mind, but I just forwarded the link to this blog post to a reporter named "Sally" who is looking for "people who 'have done the right thing'- morally, etc"

Not sure if you're interested in sharing his story with others, or if she's interested in this Jewish-specific story, but Joey was the first person who came to mind when I saw her request.

Gut Moed, shabbat shalom!

Juggling Frogs said...

I posted about Joey today.

May he know only success, and reap rewards in this world, in addition to the untold rewards he's already secured in the next.