Sunday, October 5, 2008

Gmar Chasima Tova

May all of us have our decrees sealed for a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous new year that allows us to use all our bountiful blessings for good things.



On a lighter note: I thought I'd share my two favorite yom kippur quotes with you, both from the same year. It was the year I gave birth to Joey. Firstly, my ob/gyn comes in and thanks me for getting him out of his Rabbi's boring sermon (no he isn't Orthodox...) and following the birth he chuckled at me and bantered that NOW I had to fast. I informed him that in fact, I did not, having just given birth. He asked tongue in cheek, "Oh, does that dispensation carry over to the delivering physician as well?".

But a naive young intern's comments to me that day were even more amusing. As I was walking the halls to get things 'moving' a bit more quickly, we passed a worried looking intern who stopped me and said, "Pardon me, but isn't today your Holy Day?". When I responded in the affirmative, he continued, "But how can you give birth on your Holy Day???!?!?", to which I laughingly responded, "You're the doctor! Do you know how to stop it?" :)

I will say, it made for the most unusual kavannah during a neilah prayer I've ever experienced... One is usually solemn and pleading. All I could think of was - thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Here's wishing us all a year of only thank you thank you thank yous.................

No comments: