Sunday, June 15, 2014

Reason #17 Why I Love Boating In Central Park

I've blogged before about how much I enjoy boating in Central Park.
Today was no exception. The sun was shining, a soft breeze was blowing across the water and.... you never know what your are going to see!
While waiting on (a what always looks longer than it is...) line to get a boat, I notice a young couple, clearly on a date. He - in a nice pressed white shirt and dark pants. She - looking slightly unsure (maybe because they were at the back of the line). I was disappointed in the fact that instead of engaging her, he spent a bit too much time and attention on his cell phone. I should have been dan l'kaf zechus.
Later in our boat ride, after I had completely forgotten the couple, I hear shouts of "mazel tov" coming from the bridge above us. We row towards the commotion and come upon the following unfolding scene...
A bouquet of flowers is tossed off the bridge into a waiting boat holding one young man, who gently tosses it to the boy I had seen earlier, now in a boat with his date. A banner is gently unfurled off the bridge as the young man proposes to the girl. They pose for this quick photo and are on their way.

Chosson and Kallah in the boat on the right

So Mazel Tov to Toni and Chosson! May you be zoche to build a bayis neeman b'yisrael. And thanks for adding extra fun to our boat ride today!!

1 comment:

FBB said...

I am going to be a curmudgeon.

It is wonderful that this couple is engaged, and will IYH build a bayis neeman b'yisrael.

Though I see this proposal as a microcosim of the complete lack of tzniyus that is pervading our society. I am not talking about hem lines and sleeve lengths. I am talking about the need to take a private moment and not only involve friends, but also the general public. There was a time when people in our communities lived their lives in a quiet way, but now we need to live through validation of instagram, facebook and twitter.

Sad.