Monday, December 11, 2017

Cookbook Review - Real Life Kosher Cooking


I've said before that I think cookbooks make a wonderful Chanukah gift - for hostess gifts, mother and mother-in-law gifts, etc. One size fits all, they are pretty to look at, and hopefully useful.
I was sent a review copy of Miriam Pascal's (you might know her from her blog Overtime Cook) brand new cookbook, Real Life Kosher Cooking and I certainly think it bears consideration for those on your gift list. Miriam shows the home cook that you don't need hard-to-find ingredients or pricey equipment to make interesting food; all you need is a touch of passion, a dash of caring, and a hearty helping of creativity. 
Here are some of my thoughts. The book gives you exactly what it says it does - family friendly recipes for everyday and special occasions. It is beautifully photographed with easy-to-follow instructions and welcome "plan ahead" and freezer tips. The recipes are made with everyday ingredients you are likely to have in your pantry already or at least know where to procure easily. They are also ingredients that are not likely to scare away your children (and if they are, they are likely hidden ;) ). There are no great revelations in this book and it is certainly not for the more adventurous cook who likes experimentation. I must also note that some of these recipes have been previously published on Miriam's blog. But they are hearty, delicious and you are sure to find something that piques your interest.
I was instantly drawn to the Grilled Pastrami Corn Salad, which was a hit with both the adults as well as the children at my table. I also made the Tomato Roasted Potato Wedges and the Broccoli Zucchini Soup.  For Chanukah there is even a Chocolate Funnel Cake recipe!
All in all, a solid choice for this gift giving time of year.




2 comments:

Faygie said...

Hi!
We'd like you to write a photo essay for Binah Magazine about preparing the shul for shavuos- the flowers etc. Can you? Please let me know asap. Thanks!

G6 said...

Sure Faygie.
Please email me at guesswhoscoming2dinner@gmail.com