Monday, December 7, 2009

On Post-Its & Paper Clips...

I've always said that it's the "little things" that make me happy. I also feel very strongly that "presentation does matter". I think that people respond to their environment and pretty, happy, fun environments improve one's spirit and by extension one's work. It makes perfect sense. If you like your surroundings, you are more likely to want to stay there and produce.
I share my office with up to three other people, depending on the day. I've been inside homes with closets that are larger than the entire space I share. Needless to say, the ambience of my immediate workspace needs to compensate for the claustrophobic backdrop. Hence my affinity for colorful Post-It notes and paper clips. When I have enjoyable things to work with, my work is infused with positive energy.
We can all translate this over to other aspects of our lives. When tasks become difficult or unpleasant, we need to find ways to inject some joy back into them. Find a way to make the job "fun" (I can hear efrex reciting from "Mary Poppins" already...) and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

Now don't get me started on the little "toys" on my desk... like my wind up happy smiley face.... who can be grumpy with him around?



Happy Monday everyone!!!

10 comments:

frumcollegegirl said...

ooh i know that one!

in every job that must be done there is an element of fun. you find the fun, and (snap!) the job's a game! and every task you undertake becomes a piece of cake...

G6 said...

FCG -

Very good!

It looks like efrex is starting to get some competition.

Your prize for being first with the quote is an invitation to come to my office and either a) hand crank the mini music box that plays Vivaldi or b) make my little dolphin keychain squawk and flash his eyes.....

Leora said...

I like your colorful clips in a seashell. That would cheer me up.

efrex said...

Competition? Ha! First off, any competition regarding musical theater references quickly devolves into a singalong, so one never needs to feel slighted.

If, however, I felt any form of challenge, I would simply ask if anybody knew the Hebrew version of the score. :)

(and no, that's not a joke; all together now:
rak kapit shel sukar miyad tamtik et hatrufah
tamtik et hatrufah
tamtik et hatrufah
...)

Cheeky, I know :)

G6 said...

Leora -
It cheers me up as well. I love seashells ... they help me feel the beach ;)

efrex -
Believe it or not, we actually owned the Hebrew version record growing up.
Not sure what happened to it....
Pity..... I'd love to listen to it right about now....

G6 said...

Oh wait efrex -
Scratch that... I think it was My Fair Lady that we had in Hebrew....

efrex said...

Believe it or not, there are actually TWO Hebrew recordings of My Fair Lady, and both are quite excellent (I prefer most of the revival cast, but the Actor playing Liza's father on the original is just perfect). It's a bit surreal, though, hearing songs about the English language in Hebrew (lama zeh ha'Anglim einam yod'im anglit!). The best Hebrew translation of an American musical, IMHO, is Ehud Manor's Les Miserables which, for reasons beyond my ken, has still not been released on CD.

If you ever want to hear any of 'em, you know how to reach us...

Baked Lecho Dodi said...

I am sure you have some pics of the einaklach on your desk. :)

G6 said...

BLD -
You've got THAT RIGHT!!!
(in fact, to my great dismay, it has been referred to in the past as a "shrine"....)

ProfK said...

I particularly love how the post-its color coordinate with the paper clips. Who wants to face a boring desk all day?