Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Molten Chocolate Chip Cakelets



Ask and ye shall receive.
I mentioned these little treasures on a previous post of mine. ProfK asked for the recipe and I figured, why should I be the only one packing on the pounds? Besides, these are so worth it and since they are individually portioned, it's hard to overindulge.


Molten Chocolate Chip Cakelets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 1/4 C flour
1 Tbsp baking powder

1 cup margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla exttract
1 tsp salt

1 package chocolate chips, separated
1/4 cup chocolate syrup

Mix flour and baking powder and set aside.
In a separate bowl, cream margarine and sugars.
Add the eggs one at a time while beating, then add vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour mixture.
Take 1 cup of choc chips out and mix the rest of the bag into the dough.
Melt choc chips with syrup (just until melted... don't over cook this or it
will thicken)
Grease ramekins Fill 1/3 to 1/2 (depending on how deep they are) with dough leaving a well for the chocolate. Put a tablespoon (more or less) in the center of each one, then cover with another layer of dough make sure that your choc center stays in the middle and doesn't extend to the edges.
Bake for about 25 minutes until the tops are golden. These can be served immediately or rewarmed in a conventional oven (microwaving is tricky) and served at a later date (if they are not served warm, you lose the effect of the molten center). If I am going to rewarm them, I store them in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.


(Hat tip: My friend Ruthy, who does all the tinkering and experimenting, and I get to use her recipes when all the kinks have been worked out of them...)

15 comments:

ProfK said...

Thanks! I like the idea of individual desserts that the ramekins give you.

cuzzin buzzin said...

so what do you do to serve them warm on friday night?

G6 said...

Whatever way you keep everything else warm on Friday night ...

Daveda said...

Thanks for what looks like a delicious recipe ....... quick question: what brand of chocolate syrup do you use that is Pareve? I may try making these for dessert this Shabbos.

G6 said...

Hi Daveda and welcome!
Please check the label yourself to make sure but I believe that Hershey's chocolate syrup may in fact be pareve.
Many generic store brands, such as ShopRite and of course the Jewish brands are pareve as well.
It's pretty easy to find.

ProfK said...

G6, about how many does this recipe make?

G6 said...

I got 11 last time.
I'd say 10-12, but it depends on how much you fill them.
Remember, when filling, that they "puff up" and rise. Don't fill more than 2/3 total or they will spill over.

FBB said...

I always have trouble Friday night keeping them warm AND molten (not this recipe, I haven't tried it, others). Do you let it cool first if you want to rewarm (as opposed to just baking it right before shabbos and keeping it warm)? And what do you rewarm it on that it doesn't overbake?

G6 said...

FBB -
This recipe is pretty forgiving.
I generally make it ahead of time and rewarm in the ramekins on a cookie sheet covered lightly with foil.

Anonymous said...

I think Hershey's syrup is dairy. However NesQuik is parve and tastes much better than the store brands or Jewish brands. (My 2 year old only drinks chocolate milk with the NesQuik syrup)

G6 said...

Anonymous is correct.
I checked the Hershey's website, and their product is indeed DAIRY.
I can tell you that in my fridge right now I have ShopRite and Lieber's and they are both pareve and both work fine.

DD1 said...

i was just thinking....do you think i could make these in the flower molds i have or would those be too small?

G6 said...

DD1 -
I don't thinks so, b/c then you'd want to unmold and, at least the way I make them, there's not enough of a "bottom" to look nice.
Plus, those flower molds are too small to hid a good gushy lump of chocolate... sorry.....
Wait for a cheap set at amazing savings or national wholesale liquidators (I think that's where I got mine)

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to try and make a smaller version in a muffin tin and then plate them.... do you think that would work?

G6 said...

Anonymous -
I've never tried to unmold them, and as I mentioned to DD1, I use a pretty thin layer of dough on the bottom. You'd have to "beef that up" a bit in order to attempt unmolding, so you might get fewer end products.
Also, muffin tins are smaller than ramekins...