Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm Thankful for my Family

There is a new post over at Juggling Frogs entitled Carnival of Overdue Thanks. Carolyn got me thinking about being thankful not just for the surreal once in a lifetime experiences, but also, on a more mundane level to be thankful for the things we love so much that we tend to take for granted.
Now mind you, this wasn't exactly the best week for me to embark on this journey... my air conditioner died and needed replacing, my washing machine developed a substantial leak and needed replacing... and yet, as harried, hassled and delayed my Shabbos preparations were, I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed, TRULY ENJOYED, the act of preparing Shabbos for my family quite so much. I've said many times that I love our Snowglobe Shabbos, but this time the feeling diffused into the actual cutting, pitting, slicing, baking, cleaning {ok, maybe not the dishes} because as I was doing these things I was focused on my wonderful family - most notably my amazing husband who puts so much of his own efforts into making our Shabbos special.
And as a side note, if you keep up with my sidebar on what I've been reading lately, I've been reading Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and it's all small stuff and I have to give it credit for a lot of my newfound serenity. I mean, those that know me know that my modus operandi is to stand over repairmen and installers and watch them with my obsessive hawk-eye, giving myself an ulcer all the while. Well you'll be proud to know that while my new appliances were being installed {and spraying water and gunk everywhere} I was in another room in a state of blissful ingnorance. This is amazing growth for me and I am allowing myself a cyber back-pat :)

1 comment:

Juggling Frogs said...

Wonderful! What a way to start the week: reading this post.

I can identify with both the need for "mundane gratitude" and the need for less oversight of others.

May the snow in your globe always sparkle!

Shavua tov!

(May I use this in next month's Carnival of Overdue Thanks?)