Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No More Lead Pipe in the Conservatory!?!!?

Although Chanukah is definitely about much more than presents, I am not averse to giving my children a gift or two at a time when the family is gathered together and able to appreciate it.
We bought Jennifer the classic board game "Clue" this week, but let me tell you - the classic has been completely revamped for the times!
I guess the manufacturer thought that most kids wouldn't know what a conservatory was anyway and wouldn't want to hang out in a ballroom or a lounge - so they now have a spa, a patio and a guest house.  Joseph was most disturbed to find out there is no more lead pipe and no more wrench!! {I could hear him moaning to himself,  "No more wrench? No wrench??"  for a good ten minutes last night} They have added such items as poison and an axe.
The names are thankfully the same (I think no self respecting parent would sit down to this game if they changed the names!) but they've eliminated the titles in favor of first names.
So it seems the Billiard Room has gone the way of Crayola's "Flesh", "Indian red", "Maize" and "Raw umber" colors.....
Never again will Colonel Mustard be caught in the library with the revolver..........
I feel so old...................

6 comments:

rickismom said...

HE HE I have an old copy.....

daughtersintheparsha said...

I think they just use more common forms of murder culled from newspaper articles: swithblades to slash arteries, drug overdoses, and, hey, do they have fists or brass knuckles as a weapon?
I haven't seen the updated version. Anyway, what's fun about drowning someone in a spa? much more exciting to have a 1920 overweight revolver dangling over a billiards table...

we aren't old, everyone else are infants (is infants, ?)

Anonymous said...

This is indeed sad. Really. Why is the new almost always worse than the old (with the exception of the Hirsch chumash of course! -- a trusted person I know told me it is thankfully not a dumbed down version.)

Anonymous said...

Eh, it still beats the abomination that is "Clue, Jr." where you need to figure out who ate the cake and with what drink. The gameplay is hardly less complicated, so all they've done is dumb down the central action.

Meir: As for the new Hirsch: I'm grateful for the expanded material, but, y'know, after all these years, I've actually gotten used to the Germanic English and the run-on sentences. Also, breaking my teeth on Hirsch meant that reading Kant and Soloveitchik became second nature...

citizen of brooklyn north said...

efrex you are joking! that is too funny, is that really what Clue, Jr. is about ?? Ha Ha I think that's a riot!
what's next?

Anonymous said...

efrex,

I honestly do not read the Hirsch chumash so much so I can't really comment on what you wrote. Concerning Rav Hirsch's essays, however (which I much prefer to the chumash),I very much agree with you that the paragraph-long sentences can be very enjoyable sometimes.