Due to an incredible dearth of (non Yom Tov, non Erev Yom Kippur) Fridays lately, coupled with overwhelming reader request both on and off blog, I'm posting this special edition of Food Photo Friday even though it is clearly NOT a Friday. Those of you who are eager for Food Photo Fridays containing old black and white photos and deep dark family secrets, will just have to wait for another REAL Friday to come along....
So stay tuned.....
And enjoy my recipe for marzipan brownies in the mean time.
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (substitution: 9 Tbsp. cocoa + 3 Tbsp. oil)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
7 ounces marzipan (or almond paste)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place chocolate and butter in saucepan and heat over hot water until melted. Remove from heat, stir, and then set aside to cool slightly.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Stir in sugar into chocolate mixture and eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition. Add almond extract. Blend in flour mixture.
4. Evenly spread half of the batter into greased 8" square pan. Set aside.
5. Soften marzipan and roll out into an 8" square. Place marzipan on top of batter in pan. Gently spread remaining batter evenly over marzipan layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes.