Friday, February 5, 2010

I've Turned Into A Cliche....


Truly ... I have!

I've heard it said that it's amazing how grandparents seem so young once you become one and that is true.

But eventually we all end out doing all the unbelievably ridiculous and seemingly inept things that we watched our own parents and grandparents do.

I said it would never happen to me. I said that I was a really "young" grandmother (and I am). So please tell me how I happened to dress my granddaughter this week in what I thought was a really sweet little outfit and turned out to be a skirt paired with a PAJAMA TOP.... (I thought the sleeves were a bit snug fitting....).

Tell me also why I need to hold "practice sessions" in stroller folding (with my non-arthritic 10 thumbs) and actually LOST the stroller (no NOT with Kayla inside!!!!) on my way out of Target today (I recovered it within 90 seconds, but I felt like a fool....).

Tell me one more thing. Why is the person who always knows "what's for dinner" and how to keep everybody satisfied with their favorite dishes, subtly allowing her granddaughter to sneak chocolate chips out of the fridge when the grilled cheese sandwich and cup of milk sit untouched on the table?

Oh, and by the way, I think I'm getting to like the feeling of crunched up Life cereal underfoot... (at least until the Excedrin Back & Body kicks in...)

4 comments:

Yekkishe Bekishe said...

So when & what did they name the baby?

Staying Afloat said...

I'm sure Kayla is having a blast.

My mom, by the way, who is one of the least grandmotherly people I've ever met, often mistakes robes for Shabbos dresses, and lets my kids eat Cookie Crisp for breakfast at her house.

I believe the term for what you're experiencing is "human".

efrex said...

Strollers have evolved to a point that an engineering degree is needed to figure out their folding mechanisms (I challenge anybody to figure out the folding mechanism of a Peg Perego on his own), so that's not necessarily indicative of anything.

Re: spoiling grandchildren - As one of my favorite rebbeim likes to say: grandparents always get along with grandchildren. After all, they have a common enemy... :)

G6 said...

YB-
iy"H on Shabbos.