Monday, November 19, 2007

On Giving Thanks......

While Thanksgiving is not a traditional Jewish holiday, it certainly reflects many of our Jewish beliefs and traditions. It stresses the importance of Hakoras Hatov and family unity.

I have heard numerous times from people who seem to have very short memories for the fact that the United States saved countless Jewish lives during WWII and that gratitude for our nation is certainly in order that "Every day is Thanksgiving". Oh...... would that this were true!! How many of us truly take the time to give thanks each day for all our blessings? And even if we do, my answer to these people is thusly: Though we are commanded to remember Yetzias Mitzrayim EVERY DAY of our lives, Hashem still gave us a special holiday to commemorate it. (This proof also works similarly for Mothers/Fathers Day).

In order to make sure we are not appearing to schedule our "commemorations" according to a Christian calendar, we enjoy our turkey dinner on Friday night thus enhancing our Shabbos. Additionally, I am going to post a few things that I am thankful for this year prior to Thursday....
  • I am thankful for my family (both near and far...and the memories of those who are no longer with us)
  • I am thankful for Moshe joining us
  • I am thankful for my good friends
  • I am thankful for my community
  • I am thankful for my cyberfriends/community
  • I am thankful for good health
  • I am thankful for Shabbos
  • I am thankful for music
  • I am thankful for little everyday miracles
  • I am thankful for Hashem's artistic eye when creating the world
  • I am thankful that the 14 lb. frozen turkey fell ONLY on Avram's toe and nowhere else ;)

1 comment:

Ookamikun said...

I have a bone to pick with what you said. Thanksgiving is not celebrated according to the Christian calendar. The Gregorian calendar is now universal, even if used in conjunction with other calendars. As far as it's origin, it was proposed by an Italian astronomer and only later adopted by the church.

We had turkey on Thursday, on Friday, and I put a turkey leg in the dafina for Shabbat day.