Thursday, June 25, 2009

You Don't Need To Be A Parent....


... to empathize with the plight of Gilad Shalit and his family, but it sure adds another dimension to understanding the suffering.
One of my children was AWOL for a few hours late at night this week. I didn't know where this child was or what could have caused a delay at that hour. I was concerned for my child's safety, even though in all likelihood there was a perfectly logical explanation and everybody was safe (there was and they were). Yet the feelings are intense.
What does it feel like as a parent for THREE YEARS not to know, under very real conditions of danger if your child is dead or alive, healthy or ill, being treated kindly or not. How must it feel to watch the world continue around you. How does one not give in to feelings of despair? He may be called a soldier, but he's only a boy....

I feel helpless. I have no control and I can offer nothing more than my voice:
my voice of sympathy, my voice of support and my voice in prayer.

No comments: