Monday, February 28, 2011

What Do I Know About Sacrifice?!?!


This morning our Tante Lotte joined our Uncle Marc in the Olam HoEmes after living a rich life spanning over 93 years.

When I think about Uncle Marc and Tante Lotte, I am humbled by the sacrifices that they made during the War to save themselves and preserve their mesorah. I am embarrassed by the little stresses that "throw me" day after day, when I think of the fact that one Shabbos morning, when the Nazis knocked on the door looking for Uncle Marc, they quickly picked up and LEFT EVERYTHING BEHIND.

EVERYTHING. In the blink of an eye. They just picked up and left. Though they never abandoned their commitment to Torah and Mitzvos. Posing as Gentiles in the farmlands of France, this was not easy, I assure you.

Do we know of such sacrifices today?
Speaking for myself, I get undone by far smaller things.

And yet - we can take away beauty from their nightmare as well. After the war, Uncle Marc and Tante Lotte rebuilt their family here in America and although they suffered through one of the darkest times in Jewish History, they did not let that define them. They raised a family in a home filled with Torah learning, acts of Chessed, Hachnosas Orchim and Avodas Hashem. They were HAPPY. They had NACHAS.

When we struggle through stormy times, it bears pondering that there will be light again. We should all weather our trials and tribulations with the same commitment and dignity as this couple did and merit the joys and happiness that await us at the other end of the tunnel, until we merit the ultimate joy - the Geulah.

Tehi Zichro Boruch

17 comments:

itsagift said...

Wow!

We have so much to learn from the past generation.

I'm sure your words don't do justice and there's so much more you can say - that's how it is when someone passes away...

G6 said...

itsagift -
You are SO RIGHT.
There is so much that this post DOESN'T say.
Since most of my readers didn't know her, I didn't want to turn this post in to an actual hesped, but I could write volumes.
Thank you for realizing that this was a very superficial treatment of a very special lady.

YDL said...

Thanks for the inspiring message. Ad bias go'el.

Mrs. S. said...

Baruch Dayan HaEmet.

What a beautiful tribute.

Eric said...

Boruch Dayan HoEmes. Thank you for such a moving tribute and 'reality check' for all of us.

Yekkishe Bekishe said...

It should be mentioned that they were children of Rav Breuer & great-grandchildren of RSRH. One needs Zechus Avos in order to have the spiritual stamina to overcome such trials & tribulations.

WAdsworth3 said...

I had the privilege of knowing your uncle Marc in his FTNH days. His great refinement and unassumingly sophisticated words of Torah were a highlight of that minyan.

Mystery Woman said...

Baruch Dayan Haemes.
Thank you for sharing that.

itsagift said...

G6-I would definitely listen if you'd write more! There is always more to learn from those who lived in a time where they had these struggles.

There are never enough words to write about those nearest and dearest to our hearts.

itsagift said...

WAdsworth3 - what does FTNH mean?!

WAdsworth3 said...

FTHN = Fort Tryon Nursing Home
(The site of a local minyan.)

itsagift said...

Thanks for explaining!

BLD said...

Marc Breuer wrote a book about his life....available thru the family ?

cuzzin buzzin said...

I have the book

G6 said...

BLD -
For you?
I will gladly lend you my copy :)

cuzzin buzzin said...

no no, BLD!! my copy is better!!

Yekke Wannabe said...

Hey cuzzin Buzzin its been a while welcome back.