Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Circle of Life

I have posted before (one of my favorite posts, I might add....) about the fact that I firmly believe there are no coincidences in this world.  I believe that Hashem provides us with nechama just how and when we need it most. 
V'zorach Hashemesh U'vo Hashemesh (ok, ok - just for you efrex {points for anyone else who might get the reference} "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window").
Some of you may remember that after nine years, I discovered that I was expecting Jennifer during the shiva for my late father in law z"l.  It provided untold solace during a very trying period in our lives.
Hashem must know that I appreciate the contiguity, for He has blessed us in this way over and over again.  
First Jen.
Then Kayla was born mere days before my father's yahrzeit. 
Now our new arrival is born once again only days before my father in law's yahrzeit - the first great grandson to carry on his family name.

Somehow I find this exceedingly comforting......

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you defying the long held ( and probably misguided) prohibition about telling the name before the bris?????

Wow.

Anonymous said...

I got a shout-out! *happy dance.* (By the way, if you're making the reference I think you're making, you of course mean z'richah, sh'kiah)...

I'm about as rationalistic and non-mystic as an American/Yekke/Mitnaged hybrid can be, but I definitely misted up quite a bit the first time I held my neice after she had been named after my grandmother z"l, and when I got to name my son after my grandfather z"l.

This is the third time this week that this theme came up in my life: I just listened to R'YB Soloveitchik's intensely beautiful "Unity of Generations" shiur and my shuffle-set iPod decided to embarrass me on the A train last night by playing Abie Rottenberg's "Man From Vilna," which reduces me to a blubbering mess every time I hear it...

G6 said...

Not Anonymous:
A clarification is obviously in order.
I HAVE NO IDEA what the name is.... and my post was in no way intended to have one infer that this child would be named after my father in law.
I believe that it is "customary" nowadays to have the first child named after the mohter's side of the family......

G6 said...

Efrex -
I'm surprised at you!
Do a little more googling.....

Desperate Faith said...

Wow, that was really nice. It is so amazing to see how Hashem provides everything you need, even when it all seems dark.

Anonymous said...

Y'know, the line's such a cliche that I totally forgot its original source... Also, should I admit that I don't think I've every actually seen the whole movie from beginning to end, and that I'm such a snob that I only know the original cast recording, so that I still don't know all the words to "I Have Confidence?" Nah, probably not...

Anonymous said...

i think the whole "customary" thing is silly, in that if one side has an overriding name need ( i.e. no one named yet for that person, recent petira,) that side should go first.

Marriage is a give and take, including things like this, and where to go for Yom Tov when.