Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Pesach Recipe for Brunhilda

A question has been circulating on one of the Jewish Food message boards as to which family Pesach recipes are so intertwined with the Yom Tov itself that it "just wouldn't be Pesach" without them.  
Every family can list their own.
We too have several.
Several recipes that are so intrinsically part of the Yom Tov, several utensils and several traditions.  I'm hoping to post some of them over the coming weeks to get everybody in the proper spirit (because I don't think posting about cleaning will have the same effect).

The one recipe that I make on Pesach that is actually REQUESTED during the year is my Mushroom-Onion-Farfel Kugel (my apologies to the non gebrokts set...).  Though I've taken quite a beating for it, I refuse to serve it outside of Pesach.  This makes it all the more special when I do serve it.

The recipe follows:

  1                cup  onion -- chopped
  1                cup  celery -- diced
     1/2           lb.  fresh mushrooms
     1/4           cup  margarine
  3 1/2            cup  matzoh farfel -- (1/2 lb. matzoh)
  3               cups  hot water
  1                     bouillon cube
  2                     eggs
  1           teaspoon  salt
     1/8      teaspoon  pepper
  1           teaspoon  paprika

Sautèe onions in margarine add vegetables until tender but not brown.  Place farfel in bowl and add hot water and then vegetables.  Mix.  Mix eggs and spices.  Add to farfel.  Bake in a greased square tin at 375°C for 35 - 45 min. 

Note: I double this recipe because it's so easy and then have one kugel for first days, one for last days (it freezes beautifully), and I even skim off a bit and make a small one to give away :)

Stay tuned for my next post about Strawberry Fluff and the accompanying family ritual....



3 comments:

Brunhilda said...

I am very excited about this post and your promise for the upcoming ones. Any ideas for how to ungebroktize this recipe?

rickismom said...

we have a lot of "It wouldn't be Pesach" recipes, but top of the list is homemade mayonaise and red cghrain (ie., with beets.) And hard boiled eggs soaked in pareve borst.

Stephanie said...

sounds yummy..i am going to make it for my passover as well. I made a to die for brisket for passover that i only make on passover. It is beyond delicious!